Thursday, June 21, 2018

Mapplethorpe

Mapplethorpe, dir. Ondi Timoner, 2018 USA, 94 minutes
Thursday, June 21, 6:30 p.m.
BAY AREA PREMIERE

Mapplethorpe
Robert Mapplethorpe (played here by Matt Smith) was a man of many contradictions. He was a fascinating man whom I’m honestly glad I never met. He’s a brilliant artist many of whose most celebrated works I don’t care for, but I appreciate him for opening the door to a much wider range of artistic expression. He celebrated the beauty of the human form but also fetishized black men and intentionally spread the HIV virus long after he knew he was infected.

Ondi Timoner’s biopic gives a well-rounded picture of a complicated man, showing his genius but also his numerous human failings. A few scenes lingered a bit long, leaving me looking at my watch, but on the whole it’s a compelling portrait, made with love but also an unflinching eye, of an influential figure in the history of photography as an art form. Highly recommended for all adult audiences, definitely a MUST SEE for any fan of Mapplethorpe’s work or of cutting-edge photography more broadly.

IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment