Saturday, June 25, 2022

In from the Side

In from the Side, dir. Matt Carter, 2022, UK, 134m. 👎😵
Saturday, June 25, 2022, 6:00pm Castro

I’ve never been much of a sportsball enthusiast, but I think I can now say that, of all the flavors of sportsball, rugby is my absolute least favorite. I’ve certainly read sexy stories about rugby players, but never saw anything remotely like a real match. So that started the film off at a significant disadvantage. However, the main issue I had with this movie is that neither of the principal characters ever engaged a single solitary shred of my sympathy, my empathy, or even my interest, except in the sense of being interested to watch a train wreck in slow motion. From the very beginning, I found the connection between the two men to be utterly unbelievable, and most of the interactions with other characters rang false as well. There were a few laughs along the way, but nothing to give me any emotional investment in the (at times painfully predictable) plot or the characters.

I suppose if you’re a die-hard rugby fanatic, this film might be just what you’re looking for; certainly tonight’s audience mostly seemed to love it. However, for anyone else, I give this one an enthusiastic, rousing NOT RECOMMENDED.

IMDb pageOfficial websiteTrailer

No comments:

Post a Comment