Thursday, June 23, 2022

Last Dance

Last Dance, dir. Coline Abert, 2022, France, 105m. 
Thursday, June 23, 2022, 6:00pm Castro 🙂

Vinsantos has been the drag persona of Vincent DeFonte for nearly 20 years, but it’s time to move on — not retiring completely, but retiring that particular character, driven as she was by commercial necessity, sometimes at the expense of artistic expression. Vinsantos also created the New Orleans Drag Workshop, training over a hundred drag queens, drag kings, drag cisters, and performers creating new categories of drag. But now Vinsantos is off to Paris for a grand finale.

I actually ended up at this screening by accident, misreading my schedule for which venue I was going to. I only made it to Trannyshack (Vinsantos’ start) a couple of times, and I’ve never even been to New Orleans, so I don’t know the drag scene there. Thus, I had never heard of Vinsantos. The documentary tracks her career, including a few childhood home movies, but focuses mainly on the preparation for the show in Paris. It’s an interesting travelogue, but never really broke out of that box, and never really drew me in to wanting to know more about Vinsantos. Recommended.
 
IMDb page • Official website • Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment