Saturday, June 18, 2022

Michael Urie in Conversation

Michael Urie
Michael Urie in Conversation
Sat, June 18, 2022, 4:00pm SFMOMA 👍

Michael Urie has been in dozens of films and TV shows, most famously Ugly Betty, where he played an openly gay character, and most recently the Netflix Christmas rom-com Single All the Way. Somehow, I’ve managed not to see most of it, despite glowing recommendations from my friends. (I started Single All the Way just before the festival, but haven’t yet finished it.) I did see He’s Way More Famous Than You, Urie’s 2013 Frameline37 entry, but, yeah, I was one of those really bad reviews: I described it as “dreadful.” I did enjoy Swan Song (dir. Todd Stephens, Frameline45), though, and my distaste for one film doesn’t carry over to Urie himself.

All the same, the conversation (with The Advocate’s Tracy Gilchrist) was wonderful, talking about everything from his days at Juilliard to his current works, including the noteworthy fact that Single All the Way isn’t so much a “Capital-G-Gay Rom-com” [my words], but more just a rom-com that centers on a gay character. I didn’t stay away from Ugly Betty on purpose, and honestly I’m more inclined to revisit it at some point. I won’t be watching Way More Famous again any time soon, but with that asterisk, Michael Urie is welcome on my TV any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment