Saturday, June 18, 2022

My Fake Boyfriend

My Fake Boyfriend, dir. Rose Troche, 2022, Canada, 90m. 💖
Saturday, June 18, 2022, 8:30pm Castro

Andrew (Keiynan Lonsdale) is a stuntman who is in a toxic relationship with the main star, repeatedly breaking up with him but then going right back. Andrew’s friends Jake (Dylan Sprouse) and Kelly (Sarah Hyland) decide that Andrew needs some help getting over Nico, so Jake creates a fake social media profile for Andrew’s new fake boyfriend, Cristiano Maradona, a globe-trotting civil-rights activist who is also out to save every known species on earth, all while looking stunning and drinking Absolut® Vodka.

The setup initially benefits Andrew, both helping him get over Nico and opening new doors for him, but then he meets someone he’s actually interested in, in real life, and it gets complicated trying to extricate himself from Cristiano’s fake clutches, especially because Jake has become deeply invested in Cristiano’s success (and also his endorsement contracts). Twists and turns follow, with laughs and groans along the way.

I saw Rose Troche’s film Go Fish! at Frameline back in 1994, and, as I told the filmmaker tonight, it was one of the films that drew me towards becoming the film festival junkie I am today. My Fake Boyfriend is another feather in Troche’s cap, highly recommended.

IMDb page • Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment