Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Sisi und Ich (Sisi & I)

Sisi und Ich (Sisi & I), dir. Frauke Finsterwalder, 2023, Germany/‌Austria/‌Switzerland, 132 min., in German and French with English subtitles and in English without subtitles 👎
Tuesday, June 20, 6:00 pm, Castro • not streaming

two women kiss while a third woman stands behind
Sisi & Ich
Based on the true story of Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Susanne Wolff, pictured left), known as Sisi, the wife of Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph I, who was a bit of an eccentric. Indeed, she was so far beyond eccentric that my thesaurus doesn’t have any adequate word for it. Outré is perhaps the closest, and, due to her position, hardly anyone could constrain her impulses. Franz built her a villa on the island of Corfu to keep her mostly out of the eye of the courtiers in Vienna and Budapest. She had a series of female playthings, including Countess Irma (Sandra Hüller, pictured back­ground), whose mother has given up on her ever getting married.

If you love lesbian period dramas, then this is certainly a well-crafted example. However, Sisi is such a trainwreck that I repeatedly found myself drawn out of the film. I didn’t find her weirdness appealing or interesting or the tiniest bit relatable. It’s not a horrible film, but neither is it one I would recommend to any but the most ardent devotees of the genre.

IMDb pageOfficial website [de/en] • trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment