Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Theater Camp

Theater Camp, dir. Molly Gordon & Nick Lieberman, 2023, USA, 94 min. 💖
Wednesday, June 21, 6:00 pm, Castro • not streaming • coming to theaters

kids line up on stage at summer camp
Theater Camp
Amy Sedaris has a brief but pivotal role as the founder of Adirond Acts, a summer theater camp in upstate New York. When she is suddenly unable to run the camp, her clueless son steps in, having no idea what he’s getting into, either in terms of the business side or the theater side of the camp — but the show must go on. I lost count of how many musical theater, coming-of-age, and general summer camp tropes got skewered, but I also lost count of how many times I laughed out loud. Indeed, it was the rare film that had me laughing so hard it literally brought tears to my eyes. Definitely, definitely a MUST SEE, even if (like me) you never even acted in a class play and contribute to the world of music mostly by not singing in public.
 
Note: the printed festival guide shows Theater Camp as available in the streaming encore, but the Frameline website says it is not. However, it will be coming to theaters July 14, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment