Monday, June 18, 2018

Martesa (The Marriage)

Martesa (The Marriage), dir. Blerta Zeqiri, 2017 Kosovo/Albania, 97 minutes, in Albanian with subtitles 👎🏼🤮
Monday, June 18, 4:00 p.m. Castro
WEST COAST PREMIERE

Martesa (The Marriage)
I’m very pleased that Kosovo finally has a film that accepts gay love on par with heterosexual love. I just wish it weren’t such a dreadful film. I spent an hour and a half wondering, Is it over yet?? I found all three of the main characters unre­lent­ing­ly obnoxious and utterly without redeeming qualities of any kind, and from the scenes with relatives it would seem it runs in the family. Their lives apparently revolve primarily around getting puking drunk.

I would not willingly spend five minutes in the same room with any of these characters, and I couldn’t possibly care less what happens to them. There is a scene in which one of the main characters gets beaten up by skinheads; I managed to duck out at just the right moment, so I can’t tell you how bad that scene was. Maybe Kosovans and Albanians will find this film historically resonant, but for general audiences I give it an emphatic Not recommended.

This film contains a depiction of homophobic violence.

IMDbofficial website

No comments:

Post a Comment