Sunday, June 25, 2023

Norwegian Dream

Norwegian Dream, dir. Leiv Igor Devold, 2023, Norway/‌Poland/‌Germany, 97 min., in English, Norwegian, and Polish with full closed captions throughout 👍
Sunday, June 18, 4:00 pm, Roxie + streaming encore (California only)

a Black man and a white man stand in a shower
Norwegian Dream
Robert (Hubert Milkowski, pictured right) is a Polish immi­grant working in a fish-processing factory in Norway. Ivar (Karl Bekele Steinland, left) is the adopted son of the owner of the plant, but wants to take a very different path in life. The two are drawn to one another, but complications arise from both men’s families, plus the fact that the workers are organizing a strike against the factory owner.

I really wanted to love this film, but I kept finding myself drawn out of the story, partly because it is often bleak and gray, like the surrounding landscape, but mostly because I never felt like I was seeing beyond the surface of the characters’ lives. I’ll give it a “recommended” rating, but I couldn’t help feeling disappointed.

Note: the dialogue is in Norwegian and Polish with English subtitles and in English without subtitles, but it is fully closed-captioned in English.

IMDb pageOfficial website [in Norwegian] • other official website [en/no] • trailer • Facebook: @NorwegianDream.Film

No comments:

Post a Comment