Saturday, June 19, 2010

Frameline34 Highlights and Recommendations

I don't have time to post the full reviews, but here are a few of my thoughts on some of the programs I've pre-screened:

Open: Interesting, but unsatisfying
Trans Francisco: well done documentary
Arias with a Twist: don't let the term "docufantasy" put you off, because this is really just a documentary about two fascinating artists, drag goddess Joey Arias and puppetmaster Basil Twist. Highly recommended.
Fun in Girls Shorts: only got to see 6 of the 8 shorts; all worth seeing, but the standout is "Door Prize."
Fun in Boys Shorts: several excellent shorts, plus an undeserving Oscar® winner. Although historically the Girls shorts program has usually been more satisfying than the Boys, this year is an exception. Of the 7 films I was able to preview, I gave 4 a "highly recommended" rating. Best of set goes to "Gay Baby."
8: The Mormon Proposition: excellent documentary about the LDS Church's obsessive push for the anti-gay Prop 8.
Postcard to Daddy: a documentary on a difficult subject, the filmmaker's own experience of child sexual abuse by his father. The lingering pain is evident as he struggles to make peace with the past.

I'll add to this list as I finish more previews.

No comments:

Post a Comment