Thursday, June 16, 2011

Three (Drei)

Three (Drei), dir. Tom Tykwer, 2010 Germany, 119 min., in German with English subtitles 
Adam (Daniel Striesow) and Simon
(Sebastian Schipper) in 3.
Tue. 6/21, 6:30p @ Castro, THRE21C ($15 general, $12 members)

From the Frameline website: From the director of iconic indie flick Run, Lola, Run comes Three, Tom Tykwer’s latest exploration of human motivation. If you let it, love can be as easy as one-two-three, as Tykwer proves in this atmospheric piece about bisexuality, love and longing in cosmopolitan Berlin.

One: appealingly disheveled Simon, all scruff and dimples, who’s ready to move on from tragedy.

Two: slyly humorous Hanna, wry and knowing, who wants more than the comfortable companionship she has with Simon. 

Three: magnetic blonde Adam, impish and confident, an occasional father who looks for connection. Which he finds with Simon. And Hanna.


My take: The bottom line is, I didn’t much like, and wasn’t much interested in, the three main characters, and that’s a major problem in a character-driven drama. Also, I felt I got much more insight into Hanna and Simon, their relationship to each other and the feelings each has for Adam, than I got into Adam. As I said about August, it was very well done, but I didn’t like it. I’ll give it a lukewarm Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment