Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Discreet

Discreet, dir. Travis Mathews, 2017 USA, 80 min. 💩👎
Monday, June 19, 9:15 p.m., Victoria Theatre
Discreet
Director Travis Mathews made Interior: Leather Bar (Frameline 37), which I still haven’t seen, and the short-expanded-into-feature-film I Want Your Love (Frameline 35 & 36), which I quite liked. This year, Frameline describes his latest work as a “tonal departure” and a “deep dive into American Gothic and the creepy underside of small-town, alt-right Texas.” I spent my first eighteen years in Texas; although I lived in major cities well before the term “alt-right” was coined, I was more than a little familiar with the creepy underside of small-town Texas. However, in the first half hour of this film, I found absolutely nothing I could relate to, nor, honestly, that I found at all interesting. The main character, whose name I won’t even bother to look up, puts the creep in “creepy,” and his obsessions with things like taking long videos of freeway traffic and listening to a self-help guru who goes on about vibrational harmony, offered nothing to draw me into the character or his story. I walked out, and have absolutely no regrets about having done so. The upside of being a blogger as a hobby is that I have no obligation to stay until the end of a film I have no desire to see.

AVOID THIS FILM!

IMDb pageFacebook

No comments:

Post a Comment