Thursday, June 21, 2007

Prada Handbag

A little girl develops alopecia, a condition that causes her to go completely bald, even down to the eyebrows and eyelashes. Forced to wear wigs and makeup, she grows up to become a drag queen, eventually getting a job in a drag club. The audience clearly greatly enjoyed this film, so my opinion here is very much in the minority: I thought it was terrible. The running schtick about the girl's name, Prada Handbag, was inane, and I found the character almost entirely unsympathetic. I found the film dreary and tedious. Definitely not recommended, although it was a hit with most of the audience, here and in other festivals.

Prada Handbag, dir. Stuart Vauvert, 2007 Australia, 22 min.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

part of the Kan-GAY-roo shorts program.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOD! I saw this short just recently at a festival and came across this review trying to get more info on the film and you ARE SO WRONG! Did we see the same film?? It was a wonderfully ambitious short and really funny. The filmmakers should be very proud. Sorry mate but can't agree with you here. Perhaps I sense a little jealously?

    ReplyDelete