Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Love to Hide / Un amour à taire

The scene is Nazi-occupied Paris, 1942. Sarah, a young Jewish woman whose family was murdered by the Gestapo, seeks refuge with a childhood friend, Jean, who takes her to live with his gay lover, Philippe. Jean's brother Jacques, a low-life Nazi collaborator, sets the story on a tragic turn.

Make no mistake: A Love to Hide is depressing as all hell, but it is beautifully acted and filmed, and it deals with an important subject. Go see this film.

A Love to Hide (Un amour à taire), dir. Christian Fauré, 2005 France, 103 min., in French with English subtitles

Technorati tags: , , ,

2 comments:

  1. I saw this film at the Philadelphia International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival and I can not agree more. This was an amazing film. I have to say, even though this film had so many depressing moments, I still LOVED this movie. A great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this film at the G & L festival in Cape Town last night. I agree with the previous anonymous that it is definately worth seeing. Great acting, riveting story, and tragic consequeces for all.

    ReplyDelete